Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Fada Finds Fondue…fabulous!

This has been a busy year! I moved house in February and suddenly found that I had nothing to cook with as Egyptians take everything from a place when they leave: the kitchen was bare, with just an outlet to attach a gas cooker and a pipe in the wall where a sink should be. Deciding that this was an opportunity to be inventive rather than an excuse to simply order take-aways, I invested in a trivet and began making chocolate fondue. I could have made savoury versions but grilled chicken and fish are cheap and available five minutes from my apartment so it was the sweet course that was missing when I had guests.

Chocolate fondue is just so easy and so delicious! It’s also wonderfully sociable – everyone loves it because they get a chance to join in the ‘cooking’. Because everyone chooses what to dip (and what size and in what order and with how much chocolate) no one is disappointed. And, it’s fun! There are cries of,’Oh no, I’ve lost my mango…mmm, but I’ve found a marshmallow!’ ‘Hey! That’s mine!’.

Chocolate Fondue

About 200 ml of runny cream (whipping or single)

About 200 grams of chocolate broken into pieces (can be any kind, dark or milk)

Some drops of vanilla essence or a small sachet of powder

Slowly heat the cream in a sturdy saucepan and add the chocolate pieces and vanilla. You can start this off on your stove if you like (using a ‘bain marie’ to heat even more slowly if you prefer – big pan of simmering water with a smaller pan inside it with the ingredients).

Serve with marshmallows and any kind of fruit – it’s all delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us

Cairo, Egypt
As a child Fada was deprived of colourful eatables but learnt to cook for her family and discovered the joys of not-white-food. Believing that you are what you eat, that the body is a precious gift, and that good eating habits can prevent many ills, she delights in putting together concoctions old and new - from peach crumble and chocolate cake to quiche and parmagiano.
Heba and Fada tend to cook separately - Fada loves Heba's guacamole (and the margaritas that usually accompany it!) and Heba loves Fada's aubergine (or eggplant, as Heba calls them); but they have cooked together as well. The evening where Heba made US pancakes and Fada made European crepes went down a treat with their friends!
Heba Habibte is an American foodie living in Egypt. She has cooked Thanksgiving Dinner in Cairo, Egypt, Guatemala City, Guatemala and Bologna, Italy, but never in the U.S.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Followers

Total Pageviews